Tuesday, January 26, 2010

5 A Day #8 - Italian Local Men

One of the things I love about traveling are the local people. No matter where I am I love to sit and talk to the local people if possible or at least watch them. I know it seems voyeuristic but I like to see what they look like, how they interact, what they eat, if I understand the language, what they are saying. It's the locals that make the trip for me. 

When I was in Tuscany for the first time, we arrived at the vineyard farmhouse where we were staying. They were having a party, celebrating their 20th year in business and Bastille day. Our hosts invited us to join the party. The people were so inviting and the conversations went well into the night covering many subjects from politics, to music, food and travel. It was a great experience. In Poland we went to a small village that was mentioned in a book that my wife was reading. We found some of the locals who showed us where the places mentioned in the book were. They found someone in the town who could speak english to translate what the grandmother and her friends were saying about the people who wrote the book along with those they wrote about. It was fascinating.

Men congregate in small groups. It begins at a young age. They get together to watch the women go by, talk about sports, politics have an afternoon drink or espresso and just take in the surroundings. It's a quiet time for them to unwind and contemplate life's questions. The images below just happen to be of local boys and men of all ages. They were taken in the area of Viterbo in Italy.

All images are for sale. They are printed to archival standards using 100% rag papers and archival pigment inks. Images are limited to editions of 25 for 13 x 19 and 15 for 17 x 22.

You can see more of my work on my website - www.ricomandel.com




Afternoon at the Café





Click Image to Enlarge



Tre Uomini





Click Image to Enlarge



Late Night Viterbo





Click Image to Enlarge



Viterbo Boys





Click Image to Enlarge



Under the Tree





Click Image to Enlarge

No comments: