Friday, January 22, 2010

5 A Day #7 - Singular Images #1

There are times where random photos some how work together. Today my intention was to do 5 single images. The images that I shoot as I see them. They don't particularly go with any one series that I may be working on but they are good images. Images that are worthy of being seen. Some may one day end up as part of a series others will forever maintain the title "Singular Image".

It's interesting that this particular set of images was taken in two of my favorite cities, Krakow and San Francisco. These are examples of seeing the texture and patterns in things. The barber chair struck me as part of a bygone era of the mens barber shop. Simple, a gathering place which somehow seemed out of place amongst the high rises of downtown San Francisco.  The other four images are all examples of the study of patterns and texture. I love repeating patterns that lead you into or out of an image. Images when presented to the viewer, allow them to manifest their own story and stimulate their imaginations as to where the image is taking them.   The Manhole Cover is the perfect example of that. When I see that image it could be representing any era, it lets the imagination wander back in time. It was taken in Krakow in the Jewish quarter and I can't help but think how many thousands of jews walked these streets, the carriages and horses that went before. The colored patina of a metal door built between the great wars as part of a lookout post now stands in all its colorful glory that nature bestowed upon it over the years.  Then there are the repeating lines against the marble stair landing, which almost seem to transport people around the corner to the next set of stairs. These are some of the things that I sometimes think of sub-consciously while I am looking around to find an image or as I am creating a particular image.

It's interesting that all the color shots were taken in San Francisco and the Black & whites were taken in Krakow. Two vibrant cities where the old is part of the new and there is a rich history to both.

All images are for sale. They are printed to archival standards using 100% rag papers and archival pigment inks. Images are limited to editions of 25 for 13 x 19 and 15 for 17 x 22.

You can see more of my work on my website - www.ricomandel.com




The Chair




Click Image to Enlarge




Mailboxes




Click Image to Enlarge




Landing Stair




Click Image to Enlarge




Manhole Cover




Click Image to Enlarge




Colored Patina




Click Image to Enlarge

No comments: