Tuesday, January 12, 2010

5 A Day

I was having a discussion with a friend of mine who gave me the suggestion that I put 5 images up on facebook each day to raise awareness about my photography. I thought that was a great idea as well as a challenge for me to put up 5 different images every day. It's not that I am afraid of running out of images which would probably never happen but it's also the discipline of taking on a project of this magnitude and making it happen each and every day. So for now I commit to making it happen for a minimum of 6 months with an option to renew for another six months.

This first series of images was created using a technique called painting with light. I was given an assignment to photograph still lifes for a fine art class I was in at the time. I was looking around for a subject and since I am intimately involved with the food business in a variety of ways I decided to find some unique vegetables and then play around with them. I chose to revive an old technique I used to use back in the late 80's and early 90's called light painting. I used a flashlight in this case as a light source. I placed the camera on bulb and started to paint in the scene of each to highlight certain areas and create the desired lighting effect. Once the images were captured I went into my digital darkroom to make the images come to life as I had envisioned them. Below are 5 of the images from that series.

All images are for sale. They are printed to archival standards using 100% rag papers and archival pigment inks. All images are limited editions of 25 for 13 x 19 and 15 for 17 x 22.



Asparagus Weave









Kiwi Beet










Tomato Mushroom Asparagus Trio










Pea Treviso











Crossection - Oyster Mushroom





No comments: