Wednesday, January 20, 2010

5 A Day #6 - The Windows of Auschwitz

My first trip to Auschwitz was in 1977. I was 16. I had been ingrained with stories of the holocaust since both my brother and I were fascinated and slightly frightened by the subject. I looked at books and saw films about it. Much of my family was exterminated during the war. My mother got out with her parents, from Vienna Austria, with one of last exit visas, on one of the last boats, in February 1940. And in 1977 on a trip to Poland to see where my grandmother came from my parents took myself, my brother and sister to Auschwitz.  At that time I was fascinated. I finally got to see the most infamous of the concentration camps. I didn't know that there were 2 camps one a converted army training camp, Auschwitz I" was the original and the other "Auschwitz II - Birkenau" was built about 3 km down the road by the Nazi's as a manufacturing facility for the final solution. It's raw material was people and it's final product incineration. It was built as an efficient killing machine with volume throughput capacities of over 20,000 bodies per day. It was efficient. There were plans drawn up, architectural models built and the final solution was constructed. From the main guard tower, in Birkenau, as far as the eye can see to the left and the right were barracks that housed the prisoners.

On my first visit I took photos of everything I could. There was also an anger that welled up inside of me against the atrocities and Nazis. In 1999 I went back and it was a more somber experience. I could hardly take a photo. On my last trip in 2008 I went with my family and my parents to show my children the camp. This time as I went around in the barracks I noticed the windows looking out onto a scene juxtaposed by electrified fences, barbed wire and beyond trees, blue skies and freedom. I put myself in the tattered shoes of the prisoners. How it must have felt to see this sight. What it was like to know that just a few short feet away was freedom, yet the obstacles to overcome were enormous and compounded by a weakened body. What was it like to look out and see this scene?  I can only imagine and that will never even begin to live up to the reality.

One image is through the peep hole of a solitary confinement cell with a small window looking out and a toilet in the corner. Who knows how many people were packed into it at one time. The last image is the only one from Auschwitz II Birkenau, it's from the guards perspective, the view from the main tower which each train passed under. I imagine the guards peering out, overseeing the trains as they brought in the days cargo for slaughter.

The perspective changes each time I go. We'll see what comes up for me on the next trip.

All images are for sale. They are printed to archival standards using 100% rag papers and archival pigment inks. Images are limited to editions of 25 for 13 x 19 and 15 for 17 x 22.

You can see more of my work on my website - www.ricomandel.com


Freedom is Just Over the Fence
Click Image to Enlarge

The Obstacle Course
Click Image to Enlarge

Looking Up From Solitary
Click Image to Enlarge

Obstacle Course II
Click Image to Enlarge

Tracks of Death
Click Image to Enlarge

No comments: