Friday, January 15, 2010

5 A Day #4 - The Hollyhock House

When I was a child my mother used to take me to Barnsdall Park on Saturday Mornings for a film making class for kids. I looked forward to it every Saturday. I let my imagination run wild as I made a new movie each weekend. Also at Barnsdall Park is the Hollyhock House, built by Frank Lloyd Wright in 1921 for Aline Barnsdall. I remember climbing on the concrete walls and using it as a backdrop for some of my movies.

A couple of years ago I was in Hollywood with my Daughter Gabrielle and thought it would be cool to show her where her father took classes when he was a kid. She and I walked around and I showed her my old stomping grounds along with the Hollyhock House.

The Hollyhock House was an icon of my childhood.  I love the angularity of the home that combines the rough-hewn texture of concrete with some arts and crafts style details mixed in. After 30 years I saw it from a brand new perspective.  I was intrigued by the shapes of the house, geometric details and aztec like influences of the house. This group of images is a study of some of the interesting details from the back of the house.

All images are for sale. They are printed to archival standards using 100% rag papers and archival pigment inks. Images are limited to editions of 25 for 13 x 19 and 15 for 17 x 22.

You can see more of my work on my website - www.ricomandel.com
Click on images to enlarge.



Hollyhock House







Hollyhock Back Tower







Hollyhock Corner







Hollyhock Geometric Window







Hollyhock Back Door




No comments: