Monday, January 18, 2010

5 A Day #5 - Arizona Desert

In 2004 I got my first digital SLR camera a Nikon D70. I was amazed at the quality of the images that it produced. Up till then I had been shooting film, having it scanned, then processing the images on the computer. The direct to digital was such a time saver and offered a freedom that I previously didn't have with film. The ability to change ISO as well as not worry about film and processing costs.

We took a family vacation to Arizona in 2004 to visit Sedona and the Grand Canyon. During this trip I noticed something magical about the desert, it's personality changes completely in the early evening. There is this light that happens just after sunset till it becomes night that offers a wonderful opportunity to capture images with a subtlety and hue not available at any other time except at dawn. The landscape takes on many wonderful hues. The light becomes soft and blankets everything around it with a cool even luminessence.

The desert becomes silent with the exception of the occasional Coyotes were howling in the distance.  It gave me an opportunity to think and contemplate life as I photographed my surroundings. After dark the sky became speckled with stars, more than one could keep track of.  As I think back on this time it was a wonderful experience which opened my eyes to that other magic light and the flexibility of the digital age.

All these images with the exception of the last were taken in Sedona Arizona at dusk or later. The last was taken at the Grand Canyon in the late afternoon. 




Agave




Click Image to Enlarge



Agave Curls




Click Image to Enlarge



Desert Detail #1




Click Image to Enlarge



Naked Tree




Click Image to Enlarge



End of the Road




Click Image to Enlarge

No comments: