Sunday, January 17, 2010

5 A Day - Shadows Tate Modern

I couple of years ago I found myself at the Tate Modern in London. It was my first visit and I was there with my family. The museum is a wonderful space.  We were on our way out, but first the bathroom break as well as a stint in the gift shop kept everyone occupied. I was left alone in this grand lobby.  I sat and watched the people entering and exiting from the building as I waited. It was hypnotizing. I began to notice the shadows they cast and what they were doing. Then it struck me to start shooting. I had to capture some of these images.  I was more interested in the shapes rather than the actual people. In doing so I was able to let my imagination run wild as I made up stories for some while I was shooting. like playing with shadow puppets. Some people looked as if they were caught in a tractor beam, while others looked as if they were in a walking race. The shadows they cast added to the fantasy changing the shapes of their bodies or bringing me back to the story of Peter Pan. I'm not one to shoot many silhouettes, but in this case I couldn't help myself. It was one of those instances that was calling to me, it made perfect sense as I could not see it any other way.

All images are for sale. They are printed to archival standards using 100% rag papers and archival pigment inks. Images are limited to editions of 25 for 13 x 19 and 15 for 17 x 22.

You can see more of my work on my website - www.ricomandel.com
Click on images to enlarge.




The Light Will Guide You








Semaphore








On-Looker








Chess Pieces








Waiting





No comments: